After spending a month in São Miguel, Azores (and doing LOADS of research beforehand) these are my recommendations. If you find this useful, please consider buying me a coffee.
- Best Hikes
- Best places to eat
- Best activities
- Best baths
- Best viewpoints
- Best swimming spots
- Other favourites
1. Sete Cidades – A linear hike around breathtaking crater lakes. Incredible.
- Start Point: Carpark
- Distance: 11Km taking
- Difficulty: Steep hills at the beginning/end but mostly easy
- Wear grippy footwear, there’s picnic benches about halfway through, bring insect repellant, book a taxi back to your car in advance
2. Salto do Prego Hike & Sanguino – This was my favourite hike of the whole trip through the forest with a waterfall to cool off halfway through.
- Start Point: Faial da Terra
- Distance: 4.5km taking about 2.5 hours
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Tips: Wear grippy footwear and bring swimwear
3. Salto do Cabrito Walk – a circular loop with a range of terrains
- Start point: Village of Caldeiras
- Distance: 8.5km
- Difficulty: Easy
- Tips: I recommend just turning back when you reach the waterfall rather than doing the full loop. The second half is on roads and much less scenic.
Best places to eat
(All vegan/vegetarian friendly)
- Louvre Michaelense
- Rotas da Ilha Verde
- Casa da Rosa (vegan restaurant)
- Avenida do Mar (great for drinks too)
- Restaurant Capitao (Lagoa)
- Canyoning in Parque Natural da Ribeira dos Caldeirões
- Kayak to Ilhéu de Vila Franca
- Spend a day in Furnas
- Ponta da Ferraria: Ocean Hotspring
Caldeira Velha (absolute favourite)
- Relaxing jungle feeling
- Closes at 5pm
- Entry €8 each.
Poca da Dona Beija Baths
- Visit here as it’s getting dark but it’s a busy spot.
- Entry €6 each
- Open until 11pm
- There is another huge hot spring in Parque Terra Nostra (one pool). There’s no need to visit both.
- Miradouro da Vista do Rei (and abandoned hotel)
- Miradoura da Groto do Inferno (Hell’s Mouth Viewpoint)
- Ponta dos Mosteiros
- Lagoa do Fogo (Lake/Lagoon of Fire)
Best Swimming Spots
- Caloura, Agua de Pau
- Piscina Oceânica (Ponta Delgada)
- Complexo Municipal de Piscinas (Lagoa)
- Praia do Pópulo (Sao Roque)
Favourite gym – HL Health Club
Favourite Hotel – Azor Hotel
Car rental – Wayzor (booked through rentalcars.com)
Read my other Azores travel guides
If you found this content useful, please consider buying me a coffee.